Sunday, November 23, 2014

Pain can be a tricky thing

      Well it has been almost 2 weeks since my surgery and I am felling a little bit better each day.  The only pain in my head is sometimes when I forget and raise my eyebrows I get a quick sharp pain on the top of my head.  I have a dull constant pain near my left temple as well.  Most of my pain over the past 4-5 days has been in my back.  Sometimes it gets so bad I can't even move.  I'm not quite sure what this pain is from, maybe it is caused by the spots they saw on my lungs or maybe it is just because I have been laid up for 2 weeks and need to sleep elevated still.  Whatever it is, it can get pretty bad.  The pain meds they have me on help but I hate taking them at all.  When I do take them I do feel better but I also feel pretty loopy so it would be really nice if the back pain would go away all together.

       I have been trying to walk as much as I can and have a pretty good "route" throughout my downstairs and back yard.  I am also trying to get out everyday to get stuff done and keep up with "life" even though I am still not driving.  Today we went to the movies and out to lunch all 5 of us, it was a good day.  I still cover my head when I go out in public just so I don't scare anyone with all of the staples, I use a bandage and cover that with a headband.  Think of it as a cross between a wounded civil war soldier and Olivia Newton John.  Every time I get ready to go out I break out singing "Lets Get Physical".

      Sleeping still is a bit of challenge, I can't seem to get more than 3 hours at a time.  Being down for that long is also hard on my back and I wake up pretty stiff most mornings.  I went in for a biopsy on Friday for my lymph nodes on the left side.  It was pretty funny when I got there all of the nurses seemed to know my story and were shocked that I didn't roll in, in a wheelchair.  I was like really a wheelchair.... I don't think so.  The biopsy went well and I didn't have too much pain after, I was just generally sore and had to ice my left side for 5 hours after the procedure.  They did the biopsy using a ultrasound  and a very large needle.  They were able to get 4 good core samples from the enlarged lymph node.  It is all so fascinating to me what they can do with testing, I watched the entire process and of course took pictures.  I hope to hear from the doctor in the next few days with the results of the biopsy.  The pathology report will help a lot in forming the plan for step 2 in my process.  It will tell us the stage, chemo "cocktail", radiation plan as well as if more surgery is needed.  I was glad to get the biopsy done when I did.  I felt like I was missing an opportunity to do something while I was healing from surgery.  I'm not one to sit idle so anything I can do as far as scans, tests or appointments.... LETS GO!

      I am going in on Tuesday to get my staples taken out and to see the surgeon.  I have no idea how they are going to take them out, all I care about is that it does not hurt.  I can't wait until they are all out because I can wash my hair.  I have not been able to use any product on my hair and all I can do is let the water fall over my head.  There have been some pretty funky hair days over the past 2 weeks.

     I am just now getting caught up on my thank you notes so please forgive me, they are on their way to all of you.  Saying thank you just seems so little in response to all of the AMAZING love and support I have received and continue to everyday.  It is so overwhelming and humbling to be on the receiving end of all of it.  From all of the help with the kids to the meals that are delivered everyday and all of the cards, messages, prayers and visitors it just leaves me speechless, something I rarely am.  I will keep you posted on biopsy results as well as any updates to my treatment plan.  As always, love to you all and thank you for everything!!!!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Dana! Prayers being sent everyday from the Michael & Heather fam over here! Courage!!! You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story is amazing and so inspiring! We are here for you and your family if you need anything. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need any help. You are in our prayers.
    Mitra and Seth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dana,
    I'm Manci Rasmussen, the daughter of Kurt who works with Peter. I don't know if you remember me but we have had a few company dinners together in the past with the kids. I just learned of your diagnosis last week and I have been reading your blog.

    Even though I was just a little girl when I met you, I remember you very well. Your beauty, charisma, and happy presence left a mark on me. I also remember how wonderful of a mother you are to your 3 children. At one of the dinners your daughter and I bonded and had a great time. I think about her often to this day. I will always remember how gracious Peter has been to my family over the many years we have known him. We have gone to at least 2 Bruce Springsteen concerts together now, and if I remember correctly your youngest son attended one of them too. I will cherish these memories and I hope to make more in the future. I love your family and think about you guys often.
    Dana, you are an inspiration to women, wives, and mothers everywhere. You are in my everyday thoughts and prayers.

    Love,
    Manci Rasmussen
    (858) 652-1867

    ReplyDelete