Thursday, October 24, 2013

And the hits just keep on coming!

I knew I was having bad days and I didn't know why.  I had a bit of a fever on Tuesday night but took Tylenol and it seemed to break it.  When I got up yesterday and stood for the first time everything went black and I had to sit down right away.  As the morning went on it was much of the same every time I would walk more than a few steps I would get very dizzy and light headed.  I called the doctor and talked to her and she said to go to the ER.  I spent 6 hours in the ER on meds and fluids and they took a ton of blood to run tests.  I learned more about white blood cells than I thought I ever would.  Normal white blood cell counts are 5-10, when they tested mine I was at 1.  This was good and bad, bad because it is so low but good that it didn't get down to 0.5, at that level they automatically admit you to the hospital.  Since my count was 1 I had a choice of either staying in the hospital and being monitored there or going home taking meds and resting.  Going home was my only option!  The least amount of time in the hospital the better for me!

I have heard that when you are taking chemo treatments its not if its when will you spend time in the hospital and I'm really trying for that not to happen.  People go into the hospital and get stuck there for weeks and I don't want that to happen to me!  Peter has been doing research on what helps to build white blood cells, in addition to the meds I am taking I need to start changing my diet and taking supplements that can help that process.  With that and rest I am hopeful when I go back for blood work next week my count has gone up.  It has been a gradual decline throughout my treatment, my first test was 3.8 then 3 now 1.  I can only hope that it goes up because I can't afford for it go much lower.

I am starting to hate the walls of my house but really don't want to go out much at all.  Every time I walk outside my energy seems to drop and I get so tired.  That and it takes so much energy to "get ready" to go out.  Even though without hair it has cut down my primp time I still get so tired.  I have been trying to sit outside during the day to get some fresh air and see the sun.  I am glad that the weather is a bit cooler so my beans don't look so out of place.  They even say it may rain next week which would be such a nice change.

I really worry about putting stress on my kids sometimes so I try not to talk about when I have to go to the doctor unexpectedly.  Yesterday I had an appointment for a dressing change so it was normal that I was not home when they got home from school but we didn't get home until after 5 so that was a little strange.  I don't want them to worry about me more than they already are and me having to go to the ER I think they stress out about it, especially my oldest.  They are all so good about taking care of me and making sure I have everything I need and letting me rest when I need to.  I just want them to be able to be kids and not have this hanging over their heads.

Here's to today being a better day and my white blood cells making a jump!   Love to you all and thank you so much for all the love and support!

6 comments:

  1. Please do not hesitate to ask for anything from us. Just tell your mom to tell me what to do. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually just reading a few of your posts and just wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I just had a quick question about your blog and was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance, it would be much appreciated thanks Dana!

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can reach me at my gmail copcan24@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. What can we do to help??? Be open and honest with the kids, what they imagine is often worse than what is going on. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness Dana. Such a trial. Stay strong and positive. We love you.

    ReplyDelete