Sunday, October 27, 2013

Some days I wonder....

Some days I wonder what else could be coming.  Over the past few days my feet have been hurting, like when you get a pedicure and they work the calluses just a little bit too much.  Yesterday it got to the point where walking was very painful.  After doing some research we found out that one of the meds in my cocktail causes something called hand/foot syndrome.  Sometimes I think I am making this stuff up and then Peter does some research and it turns out it is another side effect. It's not in my head and it is a real thing.  It is just another reminder that chemo really is poison and it is so hard on your body.

I have to take a handful of pills for the first 4 days after treatment and then I take additional vitamins. I also started taking some additional supplements to help with my white blood count.  Some days I take over 25 pills and it can get a little crazy how long it takes me to take them.  Have I mentioned I HATE taking pills and I am terrible at remembering to take them.  I have them beautifully displayed on my counter just so I don't forget.  I am hopeful that the new supplements will help the white blood cell count.  I go in on Tuesday for another blood draw and will get the results on Wednesday.  I have been feeling better the past few days and have not had a blackout since my visit to the ER.  My temperature also seems to have come back in line as well and I have not had any spikes which is a good thing.

I had the opportunity to go to church today, the doctor really does not like me to be indoors with a lot of people so she would rather I didn't go especially with my white count so low.  My oldest was speaking in Sacrament and I didn't want to miss it.  He had worked on his talk all week and thanks to a great friend, he was ready to go.  I was so proud of him and loved what he had written.  It was so nice to see all the familiar faces and thank them in person for all of prayers, love and support.  I continue to be overwhelmed with all of the love and support from so many.

I have treatment in 3 days, it is my LAST Kool-Aid cocktail and I couldn't be happier about it but on the other hand I am a little scared too.  With this last treatment my cocktail will change to every week and the meds change as well.  I can only hope that the new cocktail, that will start the second week of November, is not as toxic and my side effects are not as bad.  Thanks again for all the love and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment